Life & Letters


About this Item

Title: George Washington Whitman to Walt Whitman, 29 April 1864

Date: April 29, 1864

Whitman Archive ID: duk.00353

Source: Trent Collection of Whitmaniana, Duke University Rare Book, Manuscript, and Special Collections Library . The transcription presented here is derived from George Washington Whitman, Civil War Letters of George Washington Whitman, ed. Jerome M. Loving (Durham, North Carolina: Duke University Press, 1975), 117-118. For a description of the editorial rationale behind our treatment of the correspondence, see our statement of editorial policy.

Contributors to digital file: Elizabeth Lorang, Janel Cayer, Kathryn Kruger, Gillian Price, and April Lambert

Bristoe Station
Apl 29th

Dear Brother Walt.

I thought I would write you a word to say that I am perfectly well and hearty

We arrived here last night about dark, and are going to fall in, in a few minutes to move on towards Warrenton I believe. I hear that Grant has issued an order, that no letters will be allowed to be sent from this army for the next Sixty days. If that is the case Walt you must tell Mother not to feel the least bit worried if she does not hear from me in some time. I send this by Adjt McKee2 who is going to Washington for a day or two

I can tell you nothing about the army, more than you already know everyone seems to be in good spirits and hopefull. I sent my trunk from Annapolis to Washingt to our Sutler, who keeps a place in Washington  his name is L. Kipps  cor of F & 9th St  Model House

G. W. Whit


1. Ordered to follow General Meade's Army of the Potomac into Virginia, Burnside's Ninth Army Corps departed from Annapolis on April 23, 1864. Upon reaching Washington, D.C., on April 25, it passed in review before President Lincoln. As Captain Whitman marched through Washington with his regiment, Walt Whitman walked beside him. According to Walt's letter to his mother on April 26, 1864, George became so preoccupied with seeing his brother again that he failed to salute as the regiment passed the balcony occupied by Lincoln and Burnside. After marching through the city, the Ninth Army proceeded into Virginia. It was encamped at Fairfax Court House on April 28 and at Bristoe Station on April 29. [back]

2. Abraham W. McKee. [back]


Published Works | In Whitman's Hand | Life & Letters | Commentary | Resources | Pictures & Sound

Support the Archive | About the Archive

Distributed under a Creative Commons License. Matt Cohen, Ed Folsom, & Kenneth M. Price, editors.